Rude Men

Not everything is good here. There are some downsides as well. A week or so ago Tseye and I were visiting her brother, Munkhbat, in hospital. He had just had a nose operation and we had brought him dinner from one of the restaurants around town (restaurant food being a much better alternative to hospital food – amd that is pretty much the truth anywhere in the world).We were standing in the reception area on the way out looking at some Mongolian newspapers. I pointed to a picture from the movie that had just won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. At this point an bloke around 40 or so comes over, snatches the paper from Tseye and commences to abuse her in Mongolian for being connected to a foreigner.

It was not like the guy had tried to find out the connection – was she my translator, for example, was I an old family friend or such? He just assumed that because I was western I was therefore rich and that was therefore the reason for her being there.

After a couple of threatening gestures with the newspaper, he raised his hand in Tseye’s direction. At this point I should note that he had almost totally ignored me, concentrating on being a real tough guy and abusing Tseye. So, as he rasied his hand, I stepped in front of Tseye, grabbed it and then looked into his eyes. He backed off fairly quickly after that.

We remained inside for another 10 minutes or so and then left. This is the second time I have seen this. The first time was whilst I was in the Mongolian consulate in Erlian, where a drunken Mongolian man of about 50 in age abused Nara from the Bank’s legal department for being married to a foreigner (she was, of course, there in a work capacity assisting in the straightening out of my visa). The gist of the argument always runs the same way and usually contains the question “what’s wrong with Mongolian men?” The answer to that is self evident sometimes. Most are good. These guys though, are ratbags.

I wonder if they abuse Mongolian men who have western women as company?

7 thoughts on “Rude Men

1. Alex 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

As a Mongolian man, I apologize for the incident. You should understand that, generally speaking, Mongolian men are far less educated or matured than their women counterparts. If you haven't learned about it yet, you should ask Tseye. Most men have 8th or 10th grade education, some, who finish their undergrad degrees in Mongolia, don't learn much other than training to become corrupt alcoholics and cheaters. So you can imagine how hard it would be for Mongolian women to find a suitable Mongolian husband. My only sister even married a foreigner. Most of my fellow Mongolian men don't deal with the issue by improving themselves, but because of their "pride," they resort to using verbal or physical abuse such as the two incidents you've described in your posting. I am proud of Mongolian women, because they're beautiful, smart, and hard-working. They deserve better men. They deserve to run this country. Don't be too surprised when Mongolians elect women as the president, prime minister, and at least 50% of the parliament members. When that happens, it would rock this earth. I want to see that day. Mongolian rock band Nisvanis has a song called "Give me the will to hate men." If you can understand the lyrics of that song, you would understand how I feel about all about this issue. Thanks for blogging from Mongolia, Tomo! I enjoy visiting your site from Dallas, TX. Alex

2. a mongol 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

Posted by on 30 March 2006 at 17:44

don't make me laugh you pathetic white trash or that guy named alex pretending to be mongolian, well let me tell something, almost most of foreign "ratbags" that i know are interested in mongolian girls, coz they think they're "easy" and most do in fact are loser in their own hometown or country, that's the fact

3. a mongol 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

and of course, those foreign "ratbags" are toooooo old such as you are and because of that you have no chance whatever to date young girls in your country

4. thomo the lost 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and far be it from me to censor it. However, please do note that on both occasions there was no hint of relationship (one was the lawyer from the bank, for example, and in the other case I was visiting a friend of mine in hospital).

5. thomo the lost 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

Whilst moving my blog across to the new server and system I have had to re-read all the entries and comments again – including this one.

I should note that "a mongol" has kept himself (I am presuming here that it is a he as he really disrespects Mongolian women) anonymous.

I should also point out that Alex is indeed a Mongolian – having spoken to him a number of times since his original comment.

6. Mzungu 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

Sadly, this behaviour is not unusual. Had similar reactions (though not quite so directly confrontating) in Africa, travelling with my partner who is Zimbabwean. Again, it was the woman that was the target for abuse from the local guys – it was as if I was not there. Unfortunately, the kinds of liaisons Mr A. Mongol refers to DO happen in Africa (and I am sure elsewhere), and my partner is very aware of that fact. Accordingly when we are together she ensures she dresses and presents like the western, well-educated professional woman that she is. Or in some places where muslims are plentiful, even wears hijab to avoid appearing 'inappopriately connected'. Quite amazing actually how much moral high ground a head scarf can give.

But it did give a couple of guys a surprise when they discovered I could in fact understand enough of what they were saying in Kiswahili about my partner, and gave them a few choice words back…