Land Ironclads – the Irregular Miniatures 2mm

French Franco-Prussian War Army from Irregular Miniatures

This is probably the last time I will refer to them this way. In future posts they will be the French, the Germans (Prussians, Bavarians, whatever), the British and the …. well, I haven’t decided on a fourth yet. In any case, for the opening games and set-up, it will be French Aeronefs, Infantry and British Land Ironclads whilst the opposition will be a combination of German Infantry (like you can tell in 2mm anyway), German Land Ironclads and British Aeronefs.

You can see which way future purchases will go – German Aeronefs, French Land Ironclads and British Infantry. I’ll still have to decide on a fourth but that will be off in the future a bit. Maybe Martians, who knows?

Anyway, the figures are here and the two packs from Irregular contained a nice collection of figures. In the French Franco-Prussian War pack (the contents are in the attached picture), there was 36 Infantry blocks, 15 skirmishers, 12 Artillery and limbers, 3 Mitrailleuse, 12 Heavy Cavalry types and 8 blocks of lancers. Enough for two regiments of French Infantry plus support from a few batteries and 2 or three Regiments of Cavalry. The Prussians on the other hand had 60 20-man infantry blocks, 20 skirmishers, 8 Cavalry and 8 Ulhan blocks as well as 12 artillery pieces with limber and 2 others. This will give quite a large force (maybe twice the size as the French).

In addition to the figures I also was sent some samples from Irregular Miniatures of, amongst other things, WWI tanks. This will, with suitable paint jobs, work very nicely for VSF.

Now all that is left to do at the moment is to paint them up (more on that later) and then Doyle, I’ll be over for a game!

6 thoughts on “Land Ironclads – the Irregular Miniatures 2mm

1. Last Hussar 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

Any chance of you moving baqck to Tring? I fancy a game of this, but can't justify the expense.

2. thomo the lost 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

I would love to move back there – unfortunately, unless one of you guys can forge up an English (or Irish I suspect) grandparent for me or I find some work in the UK – neither being likely just at the moment – then the easiest way to get a game of these with me is to move up to Australia.

Of course, you could do Land Ironclads on the cheap just to get rolling then move into the more expensive side of it later. I'll write something up about that later this week or early next week maybe.

The most amusing part for me recently was September when I went to Head Office in Bruxelles – sat outside near the Tin Tin museum drinking ice cold Belgian beer with good Belgian chips and then passed a thought for Tring … and Taffy le Clerc in particular 😆

3. Last Hussar 30 November 1999 / 8:00 am

Sorry, you are a white Aussie and you can't find a Brit grandparent- when did you're lot move out their? You weren't one of the 'originals' were you?

4. Rob 30 January 2012 / 1:21 am

Hi, I can't understand the difference in pack size/contents. Are they both the £12.50 army deals?
    Thanks

• thomothelost 30 January 2012 / 7:11 pm

It's a little confusing at first. There is a difference in content – both the number of elements in each pack as well as the size of strips. For example, the French pack I got had 36 Infantry blocks, 15 skirmishers, 12 Artillery and limbers, 3 Mitrailleuse, 12 Heavy Cavalry types and 8 blocks of lancers.

Those French infantry blocks were (I think – I am in Singapore at the moment and the figures are in Sydney) 40 man blocks – that is, 40 little 2mm guys in a block. The Prussians, however, are in 20-man blocks – so there are less Prussian figures per block. Ian Kay makes up for that by supplying a lot more Prussian blocks.

For reference, the Prussians contained 60×20-man infantry blocks, 20 skirmishers, 8 Cavalry and 8 Ulhan blocks as well as 12 artillery pieces with limber and 2 others – so you can sort of see the difference.

5. thomothelost 30 January 2012 / 7:13 pm

Oh, and yes, both packs are the one price – not sure if it is £12.50 each though as it has been quite a while since I ourchased any.