Polemos Ancients Progress

DSC01412As one of the about 100 projects I have started at the moment (I really am a wargame butterfly, floating from bright flower to bright flower), I started the basing of my Polemos Ancients. I have three Baccus 6mm armies in various stages of completion:

1. Pontic – unpainted
  2. Numidian – painted and attached to bases – flocking to be done
  3. Imperial Roman – painted but waiting for me to attach 150 decals to 6mm shields and then base.

I thought then a quick update well in order, especially as I haven’t posted anything for a while.

The photo above is of the raw materials laid out – the figures, MDF bases and adhesive magnetic tape. At my favourite stationery store, Stationery Superstore in Funan Digital Mall ((incidentally, my favourite mall here in Signapore as well)) here in Singapore I have discovered a nice range of magnetic tape. They are in rolls with widths of 15mm, 20mm and 30mm – what could be better for a wargamer. They also do a very nice inexpensive stackable storage box, but more on that later, perhaps. So, the photo above shows the basic materials for this stage of the process.

DSC01417The magnetic tape is cut to length and stuck to the bottom of the MDF bases.

The next step is sorting the figures to the bases. The Numidians being a basically skirmishing army are fairly spread out on the bases so each base will contain 8 infantry and either 4 or 5 horse. The Numidians have been painted as lighter skinned with differing coloured shields and tunics. The traditional view was of darker skin and unbleached tunics along with plain shields but hey, these look nice and will morph well into other armies when needed <—wargamer’s excuse for something a little out of the ordinary!

A quick snip with the cutters, a dob of glue, in this case, Tarzan’s Grip from Australia, and the figures are adhered to the base. ready for flocking later.

DSC01422

Next step is on to the Romans.

8 thoughts on “Polemos Ancients Progress

1. Doug 27 May 2012 / 5:57 pm

Good work! does this mean I have to paint some 6mm Ancients now? 😉

I have lots of figures, but none painted. LIR, Sasanian, Pyrrhic etc…

2. Shaun Travers 27 May 2012 / 6:26 pm

Glad to see someone else uses Tarzan’s Grip (I am in Brisbane). I have been using it for over 30 years to glue figures to bases. I was doing it about 30 minutes before reading this post! God knows how many tubes I have gone through over the years.

3. thomo the lost 28 May 2012 / 12:52 pm

@Doug – yeah – I guess you should put the figures on the painting queue after the EIR are finished. The biggest job with my Romans is the shield decals – I will admit to looking at that task and thinking “hmm, where’s the beer for a decent planning session”. Never tried it with figures this small before, still, will probably get to them Wednesday night.

I am thinking, glue a rank of Romans down, let glue dry, decal that rank. Let decal dry then apply decalset. Repeat for the next rank. Repeat again for the third rank.

I’m also toying with gluing sand after each rank of the legion is glued to at least make that task easier than trying to do it between three ranks!

Oh, and I trust you are basing those that you do for Polemos SPQR on 60×30 bases? 😆

4. thomo the lost 28 May 2012 / 12:57 pm

@Shaun – Tarzan’s Grip has been my adhesive of choice for basing for about 30 years or so as well. When I am back in Australia I usually buy a couple of tubes to bring away with me as I have not found anything internationally that works as well as it does.

It’s biggest advantage I find is that it is brittle when it dries so if a base is dropped, the glue is more likely to snap than the figures legs – easier to glue back on than pin and glue broken legs 😆

Uhu doesn’t quite cut the mustard!

5. Doug 28 May 2012 / 4:00 pm

Yep.. the ancients are being based for Polemos, in fact they are mainly all based. I casn use them for DBA too.

• thomo the lost 28 May 2012 / 11:21 pm

Oh, yeah, 28mm DBA with 6mm figures. The Romans and the Numidians will work for that as well now that you mention it. Hmm, I’ll need a second board up here 🙂

• Doug 29 May 2012 / 6:39 am

The best part is that 28mm DBA with 6mm figures actually looks like an army! – And only 12 bases is easy. They might get moved up the painting list then.