After removing the packing and the bobble wrap the Hungarians looked much like the photo to the left.
Morale of the story – based wargame figures plus air travel by hold baggage to not a happy equation make!
So. what was the full damage report. Mercifully they are Essex Miniatures which are quite robust so most of the damage was riders unseating themselves and bent spears or figures at an odd angle. The photo to the right gives a better idea.
20 minutes of judicious spear and figure straightening has returned everything to rights although I would not want to have too many more spear bending sessions before some spears/lances are going to permanently disappear.
I had another issue with the Later Hungarians. I felt the base colours are too light – more desert like than steppe like.
I need to darken it a little. I was thinking of washing with the Acrylic Brown I used for the base coat for the Korean bases but then I would need to do the dry brushing process again.
I decided to try with the Citiadel brown ink wash (can’t remember what odd name it is called by now but it is whast used to be the Devlan Mud wash).
The base with the 5Wb on it has been washed to take the yellow and white appearance away. The muskets on the left are unwashed and showing the original colours.
I think the wash will be enough to set the colours properly.
More painting today – I’m thinking of trying to finish the Koreans today.