Australian Army Campaign Series

Australia's Palestine Campaign: 1916-1918There was no painting of the DBA armies the last few nights but as I had some spare time, I thought I’d mention the Australian Army Campaign Series, seeing as I have a couple of issues.

The aim of this series of books is to record the Australian Army’s performance in different battles and campaigns over the history of the army. The books in the series are written and researched by prominent military historians. The books focus on leadership, command, strategy and tactics, personal experiences and so on. The objective of the series is to record information about a battle or campaign and to be able to provide that information for future generations.

Some of the battles and campaigns covered are well known, such as North Africa 1940-41 and Crete whilst others are less well known (the Battle of Bardia for example). In all cases the work adopts a reasonable neutral approach to the description of the battle whilst trying to avoid dropping into Australian jingoistic rhetoric.

I have been adding titles in the form of eBooks which suits me because if the transient nature of life at the moment – an iPad and a Kindle are much easier to carry than a bag full of books. However, in what can only be a mystery to me, The North Africa 1940-41 volume I could buy in Google PlayBooks or Kindle, but not in iPad version when all the other titles I have are in the epub format used by iPad.

Even sillier was the fact that I needed to change my address back to my Australian address to purchase the Kindle version of North Africa 1940-41 as Amazon did not have permission to sell the eBook version in Asia Pacific (by that I think they meant that they could not sell it to me in Singapore, although they will happily sell and post the hard copy version to me at my Singapore address.

This publishing protectionism is really starting to annoy me.

Anyway, I can recommend the books. You can find a lead to them at Big Sky Publishing and from their link to the physical or eBook version at your favourite bookseller.’

Otherwise, there is a magazine app in the iTunes App Store that con be used if you are within the Apple Universe.

Important: Read the comments here before accessing the magazine app in the iTunes App Store!!!

8 thoughts on “Australian Army Campaign Series

1. Anthony 18 January 2013 / 8:17 pm

Done. Got Malaya for free 🙂 hope I can trust you on this?

• thomo the lost 19 January 2013 / 12:34 am

I paid $9.99 for Malaya in iBooks – but I think it was worth it

2. Anthony 18 January 2013 / 9:25 pm

Very disappointed.

An App that does not work. The books are full of blank pages, and the only help they offer is delete and try again…hoping to get to the bottom of it…but not what I hoped to have happen…

…so far a waste of money.

• thomo the lost 19 January 2013 / 12:33 am

I had not found the App when I came across the books first so I have some on my Kindle (North Africa 1940-41 was not released in iBooks) and the rest in iBooks.

They are also available on Google PlayBooks but I have not been able to work that out yet.

The cheapest option is the Kindle although you will need an Australian based Kindle address/

• Anthony 19 January 2013 / 7:55 am

After much back and forth with their tech support it seems that the magazine specific app (your link) did not work for me but the generic pocketmag app did 🙂

• thomo the lost 19 January 2013 / 9:28 am

Glad to hear you got it sorted – the books are quite good I think.

what is the link for the generic pocketmag app?

• Anthony 19 January 2013 / 9:35 am

Actually its not sorted, I spoke too soon, the whole thing is still a cluster fuck and it is not unusual in my experience to find “magazine” publishers rushing to get online and doing a piss poor job of it. They outsource to another company and never get it right. I will give “pocketmag” another 24hrs to sort it out and then ask for my money back…I am tired of Apps not doing what they are advertised to do.

• thomo the lost 19 January 2013 / 12:45 pm

After that, you can go to the publishers website and link to the iBooks or Kindle (or Amazon) versions there

Is your iTunes logon a Singapore one or an Aussie one? Maybe that is the issue. Amazon would not supply the Kindle version to me because they thought I was in Singapore until I changed my address to Macksville.