This is the latest issue and the first issue of the combined Miniature Wargames with Battlegames magazine. It is also the first one under the editorship of Henry Hyde.
I have been looking forward to this as Battlegames was one of my favourite wargames magazine.
The first thing apparent is the clean white screen – it really stands out quite well. I should note here that I have taken Battlegames and Miniature Wargames both as eMagazines so the copy of Miniature Wargames with Battlegames I am looking at is a digital copy.
The magazine is now 80 pages long, it was 72 pages as Miniature Wargames. The content isn’t rushed either. If it takes 6 pages for the article then it is given 6 pages, there are no harsh edits that I could see.
Having said that, the impression I had as I read though it for the first time was that I was looking at an expanded Battlegames with its cover in white rather than red. The article list looks like a typical Battlegames issue.
The magazine though does provide a good read for the wargamer and along with Wargames, Soldier and Strategy, it is my favourite monthly wargame read.
The table of contents includes:
- Briefing – the Editor
- Forward Observer – Neil Shuck
- Lofty Ambitions – Diane Sutherland
- Little Wars for little money in little space – Arthur Harman
- Send three and fourpence – Conrad Kinch
- The Great Armada Part 1 – Jim Webster
- Opening Hell’s Highway – Jon Sutherland
- Digital photography for wargamers – Henry Hyde
- Command challenge – Steve Jones
- Dux Britannarium – Chris Season
- A Saladin for UNIT – Tony Harwood
- Zinnkreig – Harry Pearson
- Thoughts from the armchair – Mike Siggins
- Combat Stress Appeal – the Editor
Overall, I would wholeheartedly recommend this magazine.