Ancient Naval Rules

This is the scenario. I have a copy of Naumachia as well as Salamis ad Actium. I’m sure I could scratch up a copy of Diekplus next time I am at Mama’s. I also have a board-game or two which could be adapted to tabletop at a pinch. All of these sets are fine for 1/1200th and larger scales,

What I am looking for however is something to use with 1/2400th scale galleys, something that will work on a squadron basis (maybe several vessels to a sea base) and allow me to row around the briny deep sinking enemies by bursting their ships asunder – you know the sort of stuff.

The last issue (66 I think it was) of Wargames, Soldier and Strategy had an adaptation at the right sort of scale. The adaptation however was based upon Hail Caesar! which ranges in price from £20-£30 or US $42.75. This seemed a bit steep for a quick night’s naval gaming.

So, your task, dear readers is simple:

Can anyone recommend a good set to me that will work well with 1/2400th and allow a reasonable game (over in about 3 hours) with a reasonable number of model ships per side?

7 thoughts on “Ancient Naval Rules

1. Doug 19 June 2013 / 3:11 pm

Write one, how hard can it be? There are plenty of examples for ideas, and you can decide your own parameters you want to represent. And how complex you want it to be.

2. thomo the lost 19 June 2013 / 4:38 pm

Mmm, something to ponder. Thought I would look to the easy option first though 😉

• Doug 19 June 2013 / 7:59 pm

I could always write one for you 😉 How hard can it be when all you want is occasional ballistae, basically 4 types of ships, no wind effects in 99% of cases, some boarding, and lots of ramming…

3. Victor Pocilujko 19 June 2013 / 7:12 pm

Hello Thommo

The one that probably fits in with your needs is Unholy Alliance which used to be put out by Hallmark (maybe Magister Militum can give info). I know I have a copy stored in Melbourne somewhere but it is fairly hard to find. At the Free Wargame Rules page I found 7 Renaissance naval rules, including one done by David Heading based on DBR (I seem to remember them with the 1618 campaign), might be bit too small scale though. Some of the ones on FWR looked interesting.

Cheers

Vic/GrumpyOldMan

4. Anthony 19 June 2013 / 9:19 pm

“Fleet of Battle”, it’s in our “share folder. Take a look, might do what you want.

5. ElGrego 20 June 2013 / 6:53 am

You might look for ‘Greek Fire & Roman Fury’ by Mr. Manley… appeared in an issue of WI some time ago I believe. Based on Fire&Fury and might be well suited for your needs.

6. thomo the lost 20 June 2013 / 2:04 pm

Mark noted too:

Hi Ian

There are a number of links on the Roman Seas website to rule set that might be of use. It includes commercial rules as well as PDF downloads. I cannot recommend any of them as I have not used them.

Also some of the links are broken, while others are blocked by my employer – I have yet to think of a “justification” for needing to access wargames sites from work, 🙂

Cheers