Camillan Romans finished — DBA Project Army 2

The 6mm Camillan Roman DBA Army - figures by Baccus, painting by numbers!
The 6mm Camillan Roman DBA Army – figures by Baccus, painting by numbers!

I started these chaps about two years ago or so — soon after I finished the Numidians. They have been sitting, about 25% finished, just above my painting table where I could not miss seeing them gathering dust. I decided last week that to combat a large degree of stress in my professional life I would finish these off.

All that had been completed before were the velites (two bases front to the right in the picture to the left). The others had been undercoated and the cavalry was half painted.

Of course, it had been so long since I painted them that I could not remember the paints and flocks that I used doing the basing.

I managed to match them off quite well at the end and I like the way these guys look at the moment. Best of all, I can now play 6mm DBA here and finally get around to teaching the lady the game. She likes kicking my butt in chess so this should be a lay-down misère 😉

The DBA 6mm collection slowly growing. Here are the Romans arrayed next to the Numidians. These are the first two of my seven army Singapore wargames project that I should have finished two years ago!
The DBA 6mm collection slowly growing. Here are the Romans arrayed next to the Numidians. These are the first two of my seven army Singapore wargames project that I should have finished two years ago!

Just for reference and because it has been so long ago, I arrayed the Numidian figures on the playing surface next to the Romans. I built the Numidians with all options so picked 12 of the most interesting (that’s the 12 around the elephant) and then put the rest of the figures in a third group.

As you can see there are quite a few more Numidians than Romans. That Roman Army, however, has absolutely no choices except for the choice of a general on foot or on horseback. I just assumed that with the amount of close order foot there I would never really think about taking the general other than as the mounted option.

Both armies are built from Baccus Miniatures 6mm figure range — a wonderful range of ancient troops.

I still have to get around to doing camps and such but that will be later in the project.

I’m not sure what will be next under brush. Maybe the 6mm Japanese World War 2 tanks, perhaps a DBA Parthian Army (seems appropriate as I am reading Peter Darman’s Parthian Dawn at the moment – and feeling very horse soldierly as a result) or even the next army in the Singapore Wargames Project – Gauls or Spaniards.

I will leave you with a parting picture – this for the non-wargamer reading this so they can get an idea of scale.

And for the non-wargamer, a sense of size of the 6mm figures ... yes they are small and no I do not have a lot of patience, I am a grumpy old fart!
And for the non-wargamer, a sense of size of the 6mm figures … yes they are small and no I do not have a lot of patience, I am a grumpy old fart!
Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Camillan Romans finished — DBA Project Army 2

  1. Daniel 4 March 2014 / 12:08 pm

    You are quite the machine, two weeks since your last output and you’ve banged out another army! In contrast, I’ve been mired in work since I started my DBA project and it’s gone nowhere fast.

    My vote is for a Parthian DBA army! Lots of cataphracts and light cav should look great! 😀

    Like

    • Thomo the Lost 4 March 2014 / 1:06 pm

      Fine. Parthians it is. I just happen to have some 6mm Rapier Miniatures handy 🙂

      Like

    • Thomo the Lost 4 March 2014 / 4:36 pm

      I should re-confess as well – it has taken me two years to get these chaps painted!

      Like

  2. Chu 5 March 2014 / 12:10 pm

    I would like to use 6mm model to play Warmaster Ancient …. DBA use 15mm is better cause the army size not much.

    Like

    • Thomo the Lost 5 March 2014 / 12:46 pm

      I looked at 6mm for Warmaster as well – I look at it every 6-9 months and think “hmmm” but then forgot about it. I have a couple of forces I could build into Warmaster sized armies but really, with Warmaster I guess I would have about 36 bases a side on the table and at 3 bases per unit, that is about 12 units. DBA is 12 elements so packing the DBA base with figures works, and is less painting than doing all that painting for Warmaster 🙂

      Still, DBx based armies will transition well enough to Warmaster ig you want more dice rolling 😛

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s