Two Type 97 Chi-Ha Japanese Tanks

I finished two of these, as a sort of prototype. I have some that are GHQ models and some that are CinC. When viewed alone, the CinC models look fine. When you put them next to GHQ they look, well, a little simple. The photos below are of the two. The GHQ model is the one on the left in all photos.

Note (20 June 2014): These are, of course, Type 97 ChiHa tanks – not the Type 95 originally labelled. Too much sake in the write-up stage!

9 thoughts on “Two Type 97 Chi-Ha Japanese Tanks

1. Doug 5 April 2014 / 3:52 pm

Nice work.. my most recent tanks have been a bit bigger 😉

• Doug 5 April 2014 / 7:50 pm

Your Ch-Ha versus my 20mm Stug and Pz III? Ha – dist beneath my tracks 😉

• Thomo the Lost 5 April 2014 / 8:52 pm

You couldn’t depress your guns enough to do damage and I’d fit in the gaps between your tracks 😛

• Doug 6 April 2014 / 1:32 am

Reminds me I have enough spare Grants etc to do 14 Army 😉

But just finished cleaning up and assembling 35 elements of Testudo Scots Musketeers, and 9 elements of pistols. Just need to do the pikemen now, but ran out of bases. 18mm figures – they are very nice.

2. ikazuchi01 7 April 2015 / 10:29 pm

This is a bit tricky since the CinC models actually come off a bit cartoonishly overwrought in some details, while the GHQ models more approximate the level of detail the eye could see at that scale — if that makes sense. For example, the size of the rivets — while having rivet detail is nice, is off. But this might work if other models have over-exaggerated features, for example the infantry.

• Thomo the Lost 7 April 2015 / 10:44 pm

Yrs, I must admit that sometimes the rivets can be a bit overpowering but that can always be softened with a wee bit of paint and some dark washing

Liked by 1 person

• ikazuchi01 7 April 2015 / 10:53 pm

Good point – and your paint jobs are amazing either way.

3. ikazuchi01 7 April 2015 / 10:48 pm

This is a bit tricky since the CinC models actually come off a bit overwrought in some details, while the GHQ models more approximate the level of detail the eye could see at that scale — if that makes sense. For example, the size of the rivets — while having rivet detail is nice, is off. But this might work if other models have over-exaggerated features, for example the infantry.