Curse You Richard Sharpe (and Anthony)

So, I visited the Gun Bar the other day to pick up those soldiers I have been painting. Anthony was hard at work doing his favourite hobby task … basing … and re-basing, and we all love doing that don’t we. He had his iPad propped up behind the area he was working in and was watching the Richard Sharpe series of videos whilst basing his Napoleonics. I had watched part of one episode a few years back and was amused that for the show the producers seemed to use the same scaling with actors that we wargamers use with figures  – namely a 1:50 ratio judging by the number of men in the firing line of the South Essex.

Well, that was all well and good until I got home and thought that maybe I should give the show the benefit of the doubt and at least watch the first episode. So now I am watching the whole series. Just before sleep I watch an episode. Trouble is, each of the episodes is about 100 minutes long. The other trouble is that it has sparked enough of an interest in me to reread the Sharpe Novels.

The worst thing, however, is that it has me thinking about Napoleonic Wargaming again when I was really trying to concentrate on Victorian Science Fiction, 6mm ancients and 1/285 World War 2 this year. Argh, no, hide it away, it is too bright and shiny!

7 thoughts on “Curse You Richard Sharpe (and Anthony)

1. Doug 11 July 2014 / 6:15 pm

You cannot resist.. but if you do Nappies.. you have 6mm to play with 😉

2. Thomo the Lost 11 July 2014 / 6:17 pm

I’m not sure I’m sold on Polemos though – I may look at more traditional style of basing … should resistant prove futile!

3. ajselley 11 July 2014 / 7:17 pm

Well they probably play 28mm where you are headed, so that might be the option of your future…just start with a brigade and go from there.

I also started re-reading the novels (in order) so I am still in India 🙂

• Thomo the Lost 13 July 2014 / 8:58 pm

Indeed – that is tempting as well for having a few really nicely painted Napoleonics on the table – and I guess that is at the same figure scale as Sharpe’s Videos! 😉

4. Mark Webb 14 July 2014 / 2:38 am

Well I feel slighty avenged after all the stuff that looking at your blog has caused me to buy. We have played Grand Armee at Tring a few times, its a bit abstract but i think gives the right feel. It also allows you to make all your bases up like mini dioramas, so visually very appealing

• Thomo the Lost 14 July 2014 / 2:43 am

Yeah. Inspiration can come from anywhere. I have been seriously thinking about new periods since Sharpe!

Still between you and me, I think I’ve caused you more consternation so far 😛