De Bellis Antiquitatis 3.0

DBA3Finally, I received my copy of De Bellis Antiquitatis version 3.0 (DBA 3.0). Of course, ordering it was a joy but receiving it was a bit of a trial. Ordered and paid for through Amazon UK, the book was dispatched air mail on 4 November 2014. Judging by the Post Office stamp on the parcel, it arrived in Manila on 5 December, a full month later. Eight days was the turnaround to Kuala Lumpur so obviously the flight from KL to Manila takes 22 days.

It then took from 5 December to 12 December to work its way though the Philippines Post Office and for me to get a card to collect the goods from then Post Office. I collected the rules today.

Whilst I can’t understand why the Philippines Post Office does not just deliver books as there is no duty payable on them, I can understand it taking 7 days to get the notice to me as there was a distraction called Typhoon Ruby here so I won’t complain about that last delay.

Still, it’s good to have a meaty read for the soon-to-be-flight back to Oz for Christmas. From what I have seen so far, I am looking forward to playing with these rules in then future.

8 thoughts on “De Bellis Antiquitatis 3.0

1. TWR 16 December 2014 / 3:27 am

Goodness, that took a while. In sharp contrast to recent orders of my own to New Zealand.

2. Thomo the Lost 16 December 2014 / 8:30 am

I’m wondering whether it was because it came from England (or Fife rather). I’ve had items come in from Amazon in the US in double quick time.

3. TWR 18 December 2014 / 2:02 pm

I have had a few orders from the UK recently. All have arrived promptly.

• Thomo the Lost 18 December 2014 / 2:23 pm

I can’t really blame Philpost as it looks like it took a month to arrive from the UK in the first place

4. Mark Webb 31 December 2014 / 9:53 am

I remember buying DBA 1.0 for about £3.50. is there a lot more in this version for the £20?

• Thomo the Lost 31 December 2014 / 10:02 am

Well, there are a lot more pages 😉

The army lists are greatly expanded and the rules have changed significantly.

Still, as far as publishing goes, WRG and the Barkers are a throwback to 1922 and the desire to print something with a hard cover – I guess they see that as publishing legitimacy. Personally, I think they would have made similar returns and saved the odd tree or 10 had they offered a PDF, or ePub or mobi version as well as printed.

Still waiting for a game to see how they play. I do feel though with these rules that I should wear a boater and suitably striped jacket when playing … old boy!

5. Doug 1 January 2015 / 10:02 am

Go big battle DBA3, that will satisfy your cravings 😉

Liked by 1 person

• Thomo the Lost 1 January 2015 / 10:19 am

Yes, I have been thinking that, and thinking that in enhanced 6mm (15mm figure replaced by 2, 3 or 4 6mm figures).

You can never have enough figures or a battle big enough. 😉