Back in May 2017 I published a couple of blog posts here in Thomo’s Hole on the furore that surrounded the release of Blitzkrieg Commander III (BKC III) by Pendraken Miniatures. See Blitzkrieg Commander III and Blitzkrieg Commander III – The Final Decision for my thoughts at that time. There were a considerable number of flaws in the rules and the BKC playing community was almost unanimous in its criticism of the rules. This left Pendraken with a commercially difficult decision to make at the time and they decided:
- to pull PKB III from sale
- to provide a copy of BKC III.1 when it is produced
- to attempt to do it all over a three month period
This has, of course, cost Pendraken moneywise but again I can only applaud Pendraken for their commitment to quality. While Pendraken were originally hoping to have a corrected BKC III (called BKC III.1) over about a three month period they have taken the option of taking their time and doing it right, judging by the reviews I have read recently.
It has taken nearly two years to correct BKC III and this correction will be released early in April 2019, at Salute, as Blitzkrieg Commander IV. Blitzkrieg Commander IV contains 44 army lists and 15 scenarios. Pendraken also note that a Quick Reference Sheet, Optional Rules and further material can be found in the Blitzkrieg Commander IV section of the Pendraken Forum.
Given the problems with BKC III I guess there will be some caution from wargamers about this new release, some reluctance to be early adopters of this version. I would also expect that many gamers who would have tried BKC may have, over the last two years, drifted off to other World War II wargaming rules. Recognizing the caution of gamers after the last release, I note that Pendraken have some reviews of the new rules out already from some veteran gamers and some who were rather critical of the previous release. Positive reviews have been provided by Mal Wright and Nik Harwood that I have seen to date.
As for those of us who purchased BKC III, the news is good. Pendraken have noted in their forum in BKC-IV Released at Salute 2019 that:
Now our first priority is to get a copy of BKC-IV out to everyone who bought BKC-III when it was released. How this is done will depend on how you purchased originally:
Bought Online / Not going to Salute 2019
– You will already be in the replacement queue and don’t need to do anything. Your copy will ship out first, possibly before we leave for Salute but most likely on the Monday/Tuesday after the show. If you’ve moved house since April 2017, you’ll need to drop us an email with your new address.
Bought Online / Going to Salute 2019
– Please contact us to let us know that you will be attending Salute and we will pull your original order from the replacement queue. We’ll bring your new copy along to Salute for you.
Bought at Salute / Not going to Salute 2019
– If you bought at Salute but won’t be attending this year, we’ll need you to either send us the cover of your BKC-III book, or a picture of it by email, along with the address that you’d like your replacement sending to. We apologise for the hassle involved in doing this, but it’s the only way for us to verify that you bought a copy of BKC-III. If you’re outside the UK, it’s probably easier to send a photo, but contact us if you’re having any problems.
Bought at Salute / Going to Salute 2019
– If you’ll be attending Salute again this year, simply bring your copy of BKC-III along to the show and we’ll swap it for a shiny new copy of BKC-IV! If you’d like to keep hold of the previous rules for any reason, we’ll need to either remove the cover or mark the inside to show that the copy has been replaced.
Bought on Wargame Vault
– You don’t need to do anything at all, you will receive your new pdf copy of BKC-IV through Wargame Vault automatically. We don’t have a confirmed date for this just yet, but you should receive your replacement pdf by Monday 8th at the latest.
If there’s any queries on that, please let me know and we’ll get you sorted out. If you’ve already been in touch or given us your BKC-III cover, then you’re already in the replacement system and don’t need to worry.
So, more power to Leon at Pendraken for doing not just a good thing but also the right thing for hos customers.
I am looking forward to my copy arriving soon.