I have been re-purposing some 6mm figures recently and had re-based and am in the process of decorating the bases of some Early Imperial Romans. I purchased them a few years ago to base for Polemos’ SPQR Ancients. I decided to move off SPQR Ancients and return to DBA and/or Basic Impetus for my Ancient Wargaming, partly on the basis of space. When I purchased the Romans, I also purchased Numidians and a Pontic Army. The Numidians have been hacked around providing filler for the some other forces I have and I had clean forgotten about the Pontic army.
I rediscovered those figures the other day when looking for some decals in a little accessed box. Goodness I have a few. In fact, the following (all Baccus 6mm):
- 144 x Thureophoroi
- 18 x Skythian Light Horse
- 48 x Foot Archers
- 6 x Generals
- 18 x Tarantine (??) Cavalry
- 18 x Cataphracts
- 144 x Imitation Legionaries
- 144 Phalangites with no Sarissa
- 192 Pikemen (pikes forward and raised)
- 192 Pikeman (pikes raised)
- 16 x lights, chariot crew, don’t know what
Quite a mountain of figures so … a re-purposing is in order. I can make a Mithradatic Pontic force (DBA Book II/48) from this bunch and will likely have enough figures left over to build another DBA army, maybe of Successors. I will need to add a couple of things though:
- Scythed Chariot (maybe 2)
- some slingers
- some Javelinmen (maybe I can get some leftovers from the Erik Bloodaxe project)
- some Companions (for guard)
Of course this will naturally segue into more forces as the enemies need to be built as well and Pontus managed to acquire quite a few over time:
- Marian Romans (although I can substitute the Camillan (Polybian) or Early Imperial Romans for these.
I am really enjoying the ancient period again and I can see my lead pile increasing in the near futures again!