Two Weeks Locked Up, Two Weeks to Go!

Two weeks of extended community quarantine have now passed and while the daytime has mostly been taken up with work from home tasks, late night to relax I have been working on some 1/3000 scale Fujimi models of modern Japanese warships.

These are delightful models, full of character and detail. When compared to the humble Navwar models I painted a couple of years ago, well, there is no real comparison. Admittedly these are somewhat more expensive, maybe 1.5 times the cost of Navwar and plastic so lack the reassuring heft of metal models, but the final result of a little work, and they look absolutely wonderful.

The decals that come with the models really make these too, even down to hull numbers on the vessel, something that is far above my painting skill.

I am becoming a big fan of decals for 1/3000 scale models and the flight deck decals that are produced for the 1/3000 scale Navwar aircraft carriers are brilliant, really making the model stand out, however, they are really only available for aircraft carriers.

The decals for these Fujimi vessels perform the same magic, marking the landing spot for the ships’ helicopter(s).  This box represent the first flotilla of the modern Japanese fleet, circa 1995. I have another box of Fujimi ships that represent the same flotilla several years advanced, including a full-on helicopter carrier, a DDH that is currently under conversion to become an aircraft carrier.

As for the community quarantine, it is tough residing in 42 square metres. In the afternoon I walk to the local convenience store for “food” – in my case, a large can of beer. It is my only outside time unless I am called into the office. I do hope that after the month that Metro Manila, indeed, Luzon, has spent locked up flattens the curve enough for us to rejoin the world outside, and safely for us old-timers.

So, for sanity’s sake, my late evening, after work, was spent adding just one colour to the models, followed by the can of beer then sleep. Last weekend was the first one off as well and that allowed me to finish the vessels. You can see the progress below:

Next task, in the late evening, tidy up my work/hobby table. Yes, it is a shared space. Then decide on the next painting project.

10 thoughts on “Two Weeks Locked Up, Two Weeks to Go!

1. Doug 31 March 2020 / 2:28 am

i know you’ve explained before, but how do you do the seabases? They look excellent.

2. Greg Kelleher 31 March 2020 / 7:05 am

Nice work Ian. They look a treat.

3. TWR 31 March 2020 / 7:29 am

Yes, please explain your method for the bases. A friend is embarking on some naval models at the moment. I’ve just recommended your website and the outstanding results you achieve.

4. Jacob Wakeling 21 November 2020 / 10:29 pm

Can you please explain how you painted the model listed as

wp-1585567189931.jpg

The final product, after painting

Would love to know how to do. 🙂

5. jacks723 21 November 2020 / 10:42 pm

How did you paint the white greyish ship? The photo is called

wp-1585567189931.jpg

The final product, after painting

Would love to know how to get this result for my modern Italian navy.

• Thomo the Lost 21 November 2020 / 11:59 pm

It is a fairly straightforward process. Take a model, prepare it for painting. I then undercoat the base and the ship in either black or medium to dark brown. Paint the base (see here for an example of that process, step-by-step). I then take a wide flat brush and using long strokes apply the grey. Sort of like a wet dry brush (I’m not sure how else to describe that). I then wash the model with a black wash, I use either Army Painter, Vallejo or Citadel Nuln Oil. A light dry brush over the top with the same grey as the base grey colour. Finish the black areas and voila, ship done. If you are using Fujimi plastic, gloss varnish the rear deck, apply the decal and when dry, I then apply satin varnish to sea surface and ship. I tried gloss varnish on the sea but that was too bright and shiny. Satin looks sufficiently wet for both sea and ship 🙂

6. jacks723 22 November 2020 / 11:21 am

What sort of grey did you use? I can’t see grey paint in either of the photos? Only Blues, Green, and white. 🙂