The Wall

I’ve hit a wall, at least with wargaming, painting and books, my three pastimes (included in that is historical research which cuts across all three). About halfway through the current pandemic, I had no issues. We had managed to have all our staff working from home so everyone had a job and was being paid, the typhoon passed through with no damage to friends, staff and relatives, and I was happily working on securing some more business for the company. Relaxing time was spent painting some 1/285 scale aircraft and catching up on books I had not read. That all changed when the company I work for decided that I should be mandatorily retired as I was 65.

Now I am out chasing work (or rather staying in as part of the General Community Quarantine, chasing work). As I mention frequently, “Have Passport, Will Travel” (with apologies to Sam Rolfe, Herb Meadow and Richard Boone). I am looking for contract work for the next two years or so, either project management, COBOL programming (I have many years experience there a lifetime ago), or even as a fill-in executive.

The timing of all this is just perfect — looking for work in the middle of a pandemic, with rising unemployment rates, and where I am supposed to remain inside, is a challenge at best. Still, on the plus side, the labor laws of the Philippines ensure that unlike the time my job was made redundant in Singapore by that French company, this time at least, I will walk away with enough to see me through for the next few months while I find a replacement gig.

The Wall? Well, I am sitting here, on a Saturday afternoon at my painting come work spot in the apartment, looking at some Saxons who need paint, some Soviet aircraft to complete, some coastal ships and boats I prepared for painting about three years ago, a Napoleonic Prussian army prepared for painting 10 years ago, and about 10 unread books waiting for review … and I am not sure what to do.

Wargamer’s Decision time:

1. Indeciselevly sit and have a coffee
  2. Books
  3. Soviet aircraft
  4. Coastal vessels
  5. Napoleonic Prussians
  6. Saxons

Bugger! At least it is simple and quick. Time to slap myself, get up of my arse and get moving!

Now, where’s my coffee mug?

14 thoughts on “The Wall

1. Shaun 6 June 2020 / 3:45 pm

Terrible news. Good luck on the job searching. Maybe include 1a as “veg watching mindless television” until it is time for another cup of coffee 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• Thomo the Lost 6 June 2020 / 4:38 pm

I was actually binge watching film noir from the late 1940s when writing that, think I’ll have another coffee and watch some George Saunders in the Falcon series

Liked by 1 person

2. Greg Kelleher 6 June 2020 / 4:32 pm

That’s particularly harsh treatment you’ve experienced Ian! As you say, not the optimum time to be forcibly retired. Best of luck with finding your next place of employment.

Liked by 2 people

• Thomo the Lost 6 June 2020 / 4:42 pm

Thanks Greg. The annoying thing was when announced it was made to sound like it was my idea. My staff know it wasn’t.

Liked by 1 person

3. John@justneedsvarnish 6 June 2020 / 7:57 pm

Sorry to hear your news! Hope you can find something and maybe put your own needs first!

I’d opt for painting something that goes with something you already have, or that can be used in a game sooner rather than later, so you can feel like you’re making progress! Otherwise, coastal forces!

• Thomo the Lost 6 June 2020 / 9:07 pm

WelI I do have both sides, British, German and Italian. The Italian MAS boats are smaller and quicker to paint but there are a lot of Brits and Germans . Hmmmm.

Liked by 1 person

• John@justneedsvarnish 7 June 2020 / 3:51 pm

That’s something we have in common – I painted my British and German coastal forces years ago but only seriously got round to doing my Italians this year! 🙂 Now I’ve got Russians queuing up to be done!

• Thomo the Lost 7 June 2020 / 5:08 pm

Oh Russians, Lake Lagoda. Italian, German, and Russian boats.

4. TWR 7 June 2020 / 5:36 am

Sorry to hear about your job. These are increasingly challenging times.

I think rolling a “one” is a good first step. Hopefully you can roll something else soon, and combine that with a coffee.

Liked by 1 person

5. Thomo the Lost 7 June 2020 / 9:42 pm

I finaly opted tonight to finish the Soviet aircraft – they’re annoying me just sitting on the table here. 12 decals, touch up painting and varnishing to go!

Oh, and with a coffee as well – I’m out of beer and it is past curfew 😦

6. Andrew 7 June 2020 / 10:04 pm

I was made redundant in 2011 aged 49. No one wanted to hire me permanently. I had two fun jobs in 2012 including working for Newham Council during the Olympics. 30th September 2012 we were all let go, 70 temps hired to tidy up the SH*THOLE also known as Newham. After that nothing not even an interview because if you have O-levels and CSE Grade 1 school qualifications they instantly know you are already old so you must be past it. I hit 55 took my frozen pensions and retired because I could and I knew I would never get another job despite what the DWP Job Centre staff said!

• Thomo the Lost 7 June 2020 / 10:24 pm

I’m hunting two more years of contracts then will hang up the keyboard

7. Pete S/ SP 8 June 2020 / 5:38 am

Dice man lives…

Sorry to hear about your job situation.

Cheers,