A New Period – American Civil War

I have had an abiding interest in the American Civil War (ACW) since my very first wargame which I lost to friend Jeffrey. It was a USA vs CSA battle in Airfix 1/76 plastic with the Airfix Cowboy set used to provide cavalry. Masonite table surface, hills from plasticine so the game also had that plasticine smell about it. I can’t remember which side I was playing but I do recall it was a loss for me. Rules were the Don Featherstone ones present in War Games and for the record, I won the second game as the Ancient Britons taking on the might of Rome, again using Airfix plastic figures – the charge of the Roman chariots was something to behold.

I had a large collection of 15mm American Civil War figures, where the Union was painted and I left them in Singapore with friend Anthony. I am still hankering for an ACW set however. I have toyed with the Baccus 6mm ACW boxed set, containing lots of figures (well over 800) for £82.50 for those of us overseas, more if you live in the UK or Europe. Also included are bases, flags and Polemos rules. I also considered Heroics and Ros as well as Rapier Miniatures (Rapier still appear to be off the air at the moment but the link is to their Facebook page where there should be updates when everything returns to normal).

However, much as I like Baccus figures (and H&R and Rapier for that matter as well), what has caught my eye is Commission Figurines. Their website is a single page only but it links to their catalogue.

Why do I like Commission Figurines so much for my future ACW project? I think the thought of trying these figures appealing, especially as they are wood (or more correctly, MDF). Apart from the novelty of MDF wargame figures, they are considerably less expensive than the current metal ranges with 88 ACW infantry costing about £2.00. It would be possible to build two reasonable forces for about £20.00. Very tempting.

I guess I could also argue that as they are wooden, I am not being affected by something new, bright and shiny  😉

Yes, one more for the list of projects so I think tonight I will plan a post Pandemic purchase of these.

#6mm #acw #wargames

8 thoughts on “A New Period – American Civil War

• Doug 15 June 2020 / 11:27 pm

Well there you go then. Brigade level is easily done in 6mm.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thomo the Lost 15 June 2020 / 11:32 pm

Yeah, it is the delivery that is the problem. PhilPost should be back working from last week but still no mail deliveries. Waiting Slingshot, books, aircraft from two manufacturers, Lardies rules. Nothing yet!

So, plenty of time to plan (and catch up on other items in the to be painted pile) … but I’d sure like to get on to those MDF ACW figures 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Pete S/ SP 16 June 2020 / 12:30 am

I’ve seen the ACW figure by Commission close up at his stand at a trade show. They look really good. Fullt painted they were very effective. It would be my choice for a 6mm force.

Cheers,

Pete.

Liked by 2 people

3. TWR 16 June 2020 / 11:53 am

I don’t see the initial cost as the issue, but more the time it takes to paint. That said I’m always reminded to keep plugging away on a project. Before you realise you have made more progress than you realised.

I am currently awaiting more 6mm ACW reinforcements from H&R. I’m extremely pleased with the last batch that rolled off my painting table. They are for Volley & Bayonet, my rules of choice for the ACW at brigade level.

Liked by 1 person

• Thomo the Lost 16 June 2020 / 1:10 pm

I did have some H&R ACW many years ago … not sure what happened to them (or the at the time, infamous Greeks). The H&R ACW were based and used playing On To Richmond at the time. OTR was one set of rules that no-one I knew was ambivalent towards. You loved them or hated them. The abstraction was too much for some players to bear.

• TWR 16 June 2020 / 1:14 pm

Yes, rules can bring be like or loathed by players, which is fascinating in its own way. As to figures, I am in the camp of trying very hard not sell them, or misplacing them 🙂