If it was September I’d put it down to Spring cleaning. However, it’s January. I’m madly rebasing figures to get ready for Cancon 2011 so I guess what just happened here is a product of a cup of coffee along with my desire to procrastinate on the rebasing.
I thought, “I must have a look and decide whether I will try and paint a new DBA army for Cancon 2011 or shall I just make one from my existing painted figures”.
I remembered that I had some figures in the other room but could not remember exactly which DBA armies they were. I recall writing something up in my blog several years about the armies that I had but I also knew that I had purchased the odd figure or two since then. I decided to have a quick look.
I started looking in the stock figures box where I have unpainted armies neatly stored in plastic, Tupperware like containers. I grabbed one box of DBA figures then opened a second box to see if there was any DBA figures in there. The figures there were for the Hittite Empire and were a DBM army I had forgotten I had to paint. I decided then that I needed a survey of my painting queue.
My goodness, this is what I found (and remember, this is just what I have here, it doesn’t count the figures I have at my Mum’s still to paint as well – those are mostly fantasy and American Civil War).
DBMM Armies (were for DBM originally)
I had collected many DBM armies when I was living in the UK – being paid in pounds made the purchases relatively inexpensive compared to buying them from Oz. Of course, the plan was to settle in to painting them all but so far I’ve not managed it yet. The figures are from Museum Miniatures, Chariot (now Magister Militum) and Essex Miniatures.
- I/18 Minoan and Early Mycenaean 1600-1250 BCE
- I/24 Hittite Empire 1380-1180 BCE
- I/29 Philistine 1166-600 BCE
- II/19 Seleucid 320-69 BCE
- II/20 Ptolemaic 320-30 BCE
- II/32 Later Carthaginian 275-146 BCE
- II/33 Polybian Roman 275-105 BCE
- II/36 Graeco-Bactrian 250-130 BCE
Now, all this may appear a little Book 1 and Book 2 heavy, however, painted I do have a few armies from other DBMM Army List books:
- I/1 Early Sumerian 3000-2334 BCE and circa 2250 BCE
- II/67 Greuthingi or Early Ostrogothic, Herul, Sciri or Taifali 200-493 CE
- II/78 Late Imperial Roman 307-425 CE
- II/83 Later Visigothic 419-720 CE
- III/4 Early Byzantine 493-578 CE
- III/28 Carolingian Frankish 639-888 CE
So far I have avoided book IV armies in DBMM.
Of course, I can make DBA armies from the all of the above as well. I addition, I have the following armies. These are made up of a mixture of figures, from Xyston Miniatures, Essex Miniatures, Donnington Miniatures, Gladiator Miniatures, Falcon Figures and Alain Touiller Figurines. I think that is all the suppliers I am using. All of these are currently unpainted and therefore on the painting queue. The list numbers in brackets refer to the :
- I/2b Early Egyptian 1639-1543 BCE
- I/3 Nubian 3000-1480 BCE
- I/6 Early Bedouin 1499-1000 BCE
- I/17b Hyksos 1590-1537 BCE
- I/59 Tullian Roman 578-400 BCE
- II/5e Aitolian or Akarnanian (from the Later Hoplite Greek 450-275 BCE list)
- II/45c Spartacus 74-71 BCE
- II/76 Koguryo Korean 300-668 CE
- III/10c Rajputs 747-1300 CE
- III/20a Sui 581-623 CE
- III/20b T’ang 618-755 CE
- III/44 Tribal Mongol 840-1218 CE
- III/62 (III/63) Early Polish
- IV/01a Komnenan Byzantine 1071-1149 CE
- IV/15 Qura-Khitan 1124-1211 CE
- IV/17 Later Crusader 1128-1303 CE
- IV/18 Lithuanian or Samogitian 1132-1435 CE
- IV/22 Serbian Empire 1180-1459 CE
- IV/28 Prussian 1200-1283 CE
- IV/30 Teutonic Orders 1201-1522 CE (was list 151 in version 1)
- IV/35 Mongol Conquest 1206-1266 CE
- IV/43c Later Hungarian 1397-1526 CE
- IV/56a Order of St John 1291-1522 CE (Cyprus)
- IV/66 Later Polish 1335-1510 CE
- IV/75 Timurid 1360-1506 CE
- One other collection of figures I can’t identify
Other Items on the Queue
Of course, apart from all the stuff mentioned above, there are also many other items left to paint here including:
- a number of 1/2400th sailing vessels for the Great Lakes war in 1812
- a German Aeronef fleet in 1/1200th
- British and German Land Ironclads and infantry in 2mm scale
- 6mm Cold War Commander SciFi army (ONESS – from Brigade Models)
- two 1/3000 space fleets for Full Thrust, also from Brigade Models
- two 6mm Warmaster Ancients armies (Sassanian and Parthian)
- three 6mm Napoleonic Armies for Polemos Rules (Late Prussian, Confederation of the Rhine and Polish – figures from Heroics and Ros, Adler Miniatures and Baccus)
- 1/300th WWII Italians (North Africa) again, Heroics and Ros
- 1/285th WWII Russians (I also need to get more vehicles for this). These are a mix of GHQ, CinC and Adler Miniatures
- Bucket loads of 1/3000 ships including those needed for the Battle of Matapan and the Philippine Seas (WWII) and Jutland (WWI) along with then Austrian WWI fleet and some miscellaneous WWII British and German vessels
- and the French WWI Navy in 1/6000th scale for John in the US.
With the exception of the WWII Russians and the 15mm Campaign DBA sets I’ve started building, I think I will call a hiatus on figure purchases this year, at least until I get to reduce the painting queue a little.
So, too many figures to paint? Nah, you can never have enough.