OK, I’ll admit it, it’s my Birthday and I’m not getting any younger. Imagine this though:
- no TV (I can remember when Mum and Dad bought our first second-hand black and white TV)
- no mobile phones (I can remember by grandmother saying into the telephone “Turramurra 4568 please”)
- no personal computers (I did my statistics at university with pencil and paper and calculator)
- no calculators for that matter (I can remember Mr and Mrs Morrison buying me an LED based calculator about the size of a small brick from the duty free store when they took a holiday to Fiji)
- when the Boeing 707 was an amazing piece of new aircraft technology and English Electras plied the air routes in Australia (yes, life before jumbo jets)
- when the British made passenger aircraft
- and lots of other amazing things
So, it was amusing for me to start Google this morning ready to make a search and see the following Google Doodle. It didn’t occur to me what it was for until I hovered over it.
Clicking on the doodle took me to my Google public profile. Now I know that this is not so amazing but it is really quite neat when you can remember
- life before fast food chains
- life before supermarkets where a couple of times a week you’d walk to the shops and buy meat, ham and such
- life before refrigerators (and therefore knowing what the ice box was)
- life before the Internet
- and especially life before a connection to the sewer (I can still remember the night cart coming around early in the morning and the swearing of the bloke taking away the full pan of poop as he tripped over one of my toys left lying around beside the house)
Thanks Google – I know it is easy for you to remember the date but it is nice to see the greeting!