Cancon 2013 DBA – Later Hungarians – 6

2013-01-07 00.59.51Cancon 2013 approaches and last night was my last night at Macksville for some time. I managed to get the base coats on the bases of the Later Hungarians complete however.

Now all that’s left is to paint the figures 😆

Figures will be packed this morning and then placed ion a bag that will be carry on. After that they will next be see in Singapore for the next coats of paint … well … except for at every airport security check when, because they are very dark on the baggage x-ray, the usual question of “what are they?” will be asked. This will be followed, in Indonesia at least, of “are they expensive – are they made of gold?”

There will be no painting, and therefore no painting reports, until next weekend at the earliest. This week I am travelling to Indonesia so I expect to do some more reading. I have a fear though that the reading this week will lead me off on another wargaming tangent. Reading material will be The Western Desert Campaign 1940-41, The Bardia Campaign or Australia’s Palestine Campaign – 1916-1918.

OK, need to get packing for the train trip to Sydney (no more driving after the 5,000kms+ since 14 December 2012. I’ll leave you with a picture of the control group – the 5Wb.

2013-01-07 01.00.40

Cancon 2013 DBA – Later Hungarians – 5

2013-01-06 00.49.50In a quick late night painting session before bed (it was between 12:30am and 1:00am this morning to be accurate), I managed to get the first of the base shading done on the figures I am using at Cancon 2013. I leave Macksville tomorrow for Sydney then Tuesday on a flight to Jakarta then after a few days there on to Singapore. This means that after today, no painting until next Saturday at the earliest.

Getting back to Singapore, I am planning on painting for the weekend which will hopefully see the figures from both armies (Koguryo Koreans and Later Hungarians) completed, or nearly completed. Then I can start to relearn the rules. There were a couple of times when having the test losses against Doug that we both had to consult the rules (he because he has been testing DBA 3.0, me because I have not played DBA since Cancon 2011 with the Rajputs).

Cancon 2013 DBA – Later Hungarians – 4

Cancon 2013 approaches and I am behind schedule with painting the Later Hungarians (actually, also behind with the Koreans but I reckon I can knock them over fairly quickly).

2013-01-04 01.03.29I had a worry – the bases. On a previous post (Cancon 2013 DBA Later Hungarians 3) you can see the bases after the sand was applied, they were undercoated and a brown wash was used. As you can see from the picture here, you really cannot see the brown on the base.

I was worried that the underlying soil would look black.

I decided to do a couple of test bases to see how it looked before I went hunting for a burnt sienna acrylic for the bases.

2013-01-04 16.43.08

Using the Baccus 6mm system for basing, I then did a heavy dry brush of the base coat which you can see hanging around at the back of the photo. The bases started to look a bit better.

I decided to keep experimenting.

2013-01-04 17.02.14The next colour to be applied was a not quite so heavy dry brushing of the mid coat which lightened the bases considerably.

2013-01-04 17.24.34Lastly a light dry brush of the Top Coat was applied. This is almost the same colour as the Citadel Bleached Bone used to be (off white).

As you can see in the last photo, this has lightened the bases up a lot.

The final decision? Press on with the three colour dry brushing on the rest of the bases.

I’m desperate to get some colour on these chaps though … times a wasting!

Cancon 2013 DBA – Later Hungarians – 3

2012-12-29 23.49.06After sanding the bases the Hungarians were given an undercoat of Citadels Black Undercoat yesterday afternoon. Using a latex glove((the snapping of a latex glove going on is the last sound the frequent international traveller wishes to hear as they pass through customs)) I was able to spray undercoat under the war wagons and the knights.

The undercoat was then sprayed on the top of the figures and bases and has dried to a nice even coat … ready for painting which will have to wait for next year!

The control group – the warband, now looks like this:

2012-12-29 23.49.24

Cancon 2013 DBA – Later Hungarians – 2

2012-12-28 17.50.09Visions of Janis Hunyadi, Matthias Corvinus and Pál Kinizsi floated around my head as I finally started work on the Hungarians. I had glued them to bases in Singapore and the lady had then carried them back to Oz for me to work on here.

There was only two riders dislodged and a couple of bent lances from that travel experience along with the usual questions at security. The picture to the right shows the troops laid out on the painting table ready to start the basing process off.

2012-12-28 22.45.19

The next step was to glue sand and other scatter material to the bases preparatory to undercoating the figures. I wanted to get the sand down on Friday (today) and then allow a good 12 hours for the bases to dry out before undercoating.

Just looking at the painting job that will be necessary, I don’t think I should have based the knights before painting but rather after painting. Anyway, it’s too late to worry about that know. The knights will be annoying to paint but we shall manage.

The photo to the left shows the army after the sand was stuck to the bases.

The next step in this process is to spray undercoat all the figures and I will need to pay special attention to get paint on the undersides of figures.

In the meantime let me leave you with a close-up of what will become my favourite element in this army – the warband!!

2012-12-28 22.47.54