The early world war 2 Soviet force is shown below. I will be using this against Japanese and Hungarians, both of which I still need to paint. The battles against the Japanese will be a little bit anachronistic as I do not have the very early armour used by the Russians at Khalkin-gol (Nomonhan).
Still, look out Doug, there are more to come – including late war heavies to see your Tiger 2s off 😉
In the meantime, feel free to have a look around this force in the gallery below. I will admit that I still need to add decals to the tanks. I am waiting until the mood takes me again to do that much fiddly cutting and decaling!
My early World War 2 Soviet Battlegroup
Bell P-39 Airacobra and Polikarpov I-16 Rata Mosca.
Bell P-39 Airacobra and Polikarpov I-16 Rata Mosca – both early war aircraft in use by the Soviets. Models by GHQ, bases by Raiden.
Two infantry battalions for Blitzkrieg Commander II – figures are Adler and GHQ
Mounted Russians and dismounted markers. Cavalry will normally be able to deploy as infantry
Two Headquarters bases and like all Headquarters, even on the steppe will find a shady tree
My forward Artillery Observer (AOP)
Engineers – flame throwers on the left, mine-sweeping on the right and some general engineer elements in the rear (digging up mines perhaps) – these are Adler figures
A side view of the engineers
Infantry Support – 82mm mortar on the left, anti-tank rifles in the centre and heavy machine guns (HMG or MMG) on the right
Side view of the Infantry support
122mm artillery – this battery would normally be deployed off table because of the range of these weapons
The artillery battery from the rear
Three 76mm Infantry guns (deployed either on or off table) and two 45mm anti-tank guns
A platoon of BA-10 armoured cars – used for scouting and other purposes
Soviet light tank company consisting of GHQ T-60 scout tanks. These were produced in large numbers from 1941 to 1942 being replaced by T-70 light tanks
Valentine Light Tank Company – Valentines were supplied as part of Lend Lease to the Soviets from Commonwealth factories
T34/76 Tank Company
T34/76 tanks – showing simple, basic weathering
KV-1a tanks – a small platoon
KV-1a tanks – a small platoon showing simple, basic weathering
Now a dry brush of a yellow ochre type colour was done to the top of each of the bases. This lightens the colour on the bases considerably while leaving some depth. It also is a good base for the next two dry brush colours.
Tonight I’ve been working on the Russians. So I have 10 T34/76 tanks completed, some 122 mm artillery, some 76 mm artillery, and lastly a couple of 45 mm antitank guns.
Next is to glue some sand on the bases, then wash the sand with a thin dark brown, then progressive dry brushing of lighter shades of brown up to almost a bone white. After that add flock to the base and the tanks and artillery are complete.
I decided that I needed to catch up on some of the half (quarter, eighth, sixteenth …) finished work in the man cave. Looking for something quick and easy but something I could try some new techniques on as well, I decided to go back to the 6mm World War 2 Russians.
Back on 27 August 2012 I finished the first batch of tanks for the Russians, a battalion of Lend Lease Valentines. I decided to do some more Russian vehicles and try some weathering effects on them with two of Tamiya’s Tank Weathering shades.
I also decided to do a base of infantry – just to see that needed to be painted and what could be left.
The pictures here are the vehicles I have finished so far. I have a battalion of T34/76s almost ready for basing and that will take care of the Soviet armour for this project – well except for the addition of some T34/85s so I can build the force for late war as well.
The image on the left are some KV-1s finished, the image on the right is a command group next to a particularly tall tree and below we have a BA-10 Armoured Car.
I have been painting 6mm figures over the last few years in particular. I came across this on YouTube and thought I would share it here. I can see myself heading into the Battle Bunker here to get some of the Citadel paint mentioned to try it out. The GHQ models here are quite superb as well.
They still need to be varnished but I will leave that until Tuesday – give them a good 36 hours or so to be well dry. In the picture are 10 Valentines and a Russian farm house, painted and based.
The paint used on the tanks was Vallejo from the Battlefront British Paint set with Tamiya weathering whilst the base edges and the building were painted with Citadel colours. The bases themselves were covered with Citadel sand and some Gale Force Nine flock (the stuff that looks like little rocks). I then used the Baccus 6mm basing system for the wash and the three dry brush shades. Two tanks and the house had static grass from Baccus used for the greenery, the rest used Citadel static grass.
I also tried a final Devlan Mud (Citadel) wash on the base for the farm house to see if it improved appearances. It didn’t.
Next up on the painting queue this week are 4 x BA-10 to experiment with the Russian green before launching into the rest of the Russian tanks and starting to deal with 6mm decals again. I read somewhere that the light tanks in Russian WW2 service did not carry markings.
I must admit, the British tank green looks the part on these vehicles. I went very light with the weathering. I started using the mud colour but that just disappeared into the vehicle so I changed to the sand and dust colours. I concentrated it on the track areas with a light brush across the rest of the vehicle. Looks quite good and if I can ever come to terms with my macro lens I’ll try for a close up.
This has provided a week bit of a painting spurt for me. Hopefully it means that I will get my ACW Union finished this year as well.