15mm Khmer – Test Base Complete

I have been testing a new (for me) painting technique of brown undercoat, block (ish) paint and wash. This is a method I am planning to use on my South-east Asian themed armies. At the moment they are Burmese and Khmer. I wanted a quick test to start with so an element that I could paint simply. I selected the Maiden Guard from the Khmer, for no other reason than the colours and that there is a lot of flesh.

These figures are 15mm tall so the detail that looks overdone in these photos is not so bad in real life, although I will need to redo the faces of the figures again. These are Irregular Miniatures and I am pleased with the way they look painted. Much nicer than their appearance in bare metal.

The Maiden Guard on on of my test hills - faces need redoing
The Maiden Guard on on of my test hills – faces need redoing
The Maiden Guard
The Maiden Guard
The left hand side view
The left hand side view
The Maiden Guard from the rear
The Maiden Guard from the rear
The Maiden Guard right hand view
The Maiden Guard right hand view

Next on the Painting Table

Then Burmese and the Khmer. Prepped, based and undercoated. Now just waiting for the application of the brush
Then Burmese and the Khmer. Prepped, based and undercoated. Now just waiting for the application of the brush

Is … not sure! 🙂

Thinking about the 1/2400th scale Guerra del Pacífico vessels I have for Peru and Chile. It was an interesting sea war. Somewhere in the stockpile I have some 10mm Chilean and Bolivian figures for the land warfare component. Mind you, in a recent mini-sort of the Man Cave I have not managed to find any evidence of those figures yet. They must be in there somewhere.

I think, however, in a break from nautical painting, I may just try get the Burmese, or the Khmer, or both DBA Armies painted.

The figures have been cleaned up and based. They have also received a brown undercoat in Army Painter spray paint so they are ready to go. I will admit being interested to see how these look after painting as it will be the first time I have painted Irregular Miniatures 15mm figures.

As today is Friday and as we approach beer o’clock, I guess this is tonight’s rumination over a quiet pint.

Khmer and Burmese – Step 1

Burmese on the right and Khmer on the left drying after undercoating
Burmese on the right and Khmer on the left drying after undercoating

After the excruciating effort of super gluing all the figures to Irregular Miniatures Burmese elephant – not to mention several successful attempts at gluing my fingers together ((and the ensuing problems the next couple of days at the office when the finger-print reader at the door no longer recognises my fingerprint)) – I was ready to start the next step – gluing the basing material on and undercoating. First however, there was one more &$*&@#£ archer to glue back on that &$*&@#£ elephant.

Base material of fine grade sand and some larger grains was stuck to the base with some Woodland Scenics glue ((which mercifully does not glue ones fingers together)). The figures were let stand for 24 hours and then undercoated in Army Colours brown. I guess I need to start researching uniform colours – or find another project to get in the way of this 🙂

And yes, that is the &$*&@#£ Burmese elephant on the right hand side of the pachyderms!

The Next DBA Army – Khmer

Irregular Miniatures sells 15mm figures individually, so you get exactly what you ordered

The next DBA army was decided a few weeks ago when I wanted to have a closer look at Irregular Miniatures 15mm figures. I ended up deciding on Khmer as I wanted some more Asian influence in my collection.

This is another Book III army (III/23) ((I could have used it at Cancon 2013 for example, and with the Nellies and artillery in here, struck fear into the heart of my more knightly opponents)). Apart from the interest of painting some figures from a different manufacturer (and there are some plans floating in my head about that statement as well – but more on that later), it is an interesting mix of troop types.

The army itself contains:

  • 1 x elephant mounted general
  • 1 x elephant – regular troops
  • the choice of:
    • 1 x elephant mounted artillery piece, or
    • 1 x nasty axe armed infantry types, or
    • 1 x difficult terrain close troops
  • 1 cavalry
  • 4 x difficult terrain troops
  • 2 x bows
  • 2 x light troops

You can see from the picture to the right that there are a couple of umbrellas to be dealt with – one on the general’s elephant and the other on the cavalry.

The Auxilia (difficult terrain troops) will be a mix of the figures to give them that slightly irregular (pardon the pun) look. The maiden guard (look closely, you can work them out) on the other hand will be very regular looking.

One of the listed enemies for the Khmer are the Cham – the army is identical so if this works well, I may do it all again but with another manufacturers figures. I’ll also comment later on my Asian wargame armies plan.

I’ll post regular painting updates to see their progress – right after I finish that French naval stuff I’m painting.

I’ll leave you now with a view from the wall at Angkor Wat (courtesy of Wikipedia).

Bayon Angkor Relief - Khmer troops
Bayon Angkor Relief – Khmer troops